Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Come Look With Me, Discovering African American Art for Children by James Haywood Rolling, Jr.


This is just one of the books in the "Come With Me" series created by Gladys Blizzard. Each book in the series introduces children to 12 works of art.


The book starts with a page on "how to use this book"; it gives tips on how to use the book with children and explained some of the dynamics of the book. There are 12 works of art presented in this book, along with a page of background information on the artist and a set of invigorating questions that can be asked to children as they are exploring the image. It goes without saying that the images are beautiful and striking. The questions are thought-provoking and sure to generate great conversations. The information that is provided is meaningful and interesting. While this book is educational, it is not boring. I learned about African American artists I did not know existed, and think it is important for children to learn about them as well. This book would be a great resource for a social studies lesson!

2 comments:

  1. wow, thanks for posting about this book! it seems really useful, especially for art-challenged people like myself. this isn't a book i would normally pick up for my blogs so i'm glad i ran across it on yours. can i ask where you found the title or what made you want to pick it up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I was just browsing through the curriculum lab trying to stay out of the E and F sections (bc I typically only go to those sections), and I came across the "Come With Me Series." I love learning about famous artists and thought this would be a great book as soon as I spotted it. I was right! I have been trying to find books that represent culture and will be motivating for my students. This book fits the description!

    ReplyDelete