Monday, March 9, 2009

The Vegetables We Eat by Gail Gibbons


YAWN. I hate to be so blunt, but I truly did not enjoy this book what so ever. Personally, I love vegetables and have an obsession with cooking, so I thought this would be an interesting book for me. I am really disappointed. There are so many fun and creative ways one could write about a topic like vegetables to make it appealing to children (and adults alike), but this book certainly did not accomplish this in the least. I was expecting playful illustrations, rhyming, fun facts etc. Instead I got, "Vegetables are good for us to eat. They are nutritious. They grow to be different shapes, sizes and colors. Corn is a seed vegetable that does not have a pod. It has a husk." I don't think anyone, except maybe a botanist, would find anything in this book amusing. It makes me want to write a children's book about vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment