Monday, April 27, 2009

Grandpa and Bo by Kevin Henkes


So, my love for Kevin Henkes is obvious; every few books I have to advertise one his works. He is certainly known for his spectacular mouse books, however, I have been intrigued by some of his other books without mouse characters. Grandpa and Bo is one of them. He created a story line and characters that so many of us can identify with. Bo is a little boy that lives in the city while his Grandpa, his best pal, lives in the country hundreds of miles away. It is often that one is in this same situation, living far away from a family member that is dearly loved and worshipped. Bo's relationship with his Grandpa reminded me of my Grandpa and I. Spending time with him was one of my favorite things to do. It wasn't until college when I realized just how close I was with him. After all, I got to see him every day if I wanted to. Words can't describe how difficult it was to go off to college and not be able to see him all the time.


Read the book and see what kinds of connections you make. Pay attention to his black and white illustrations in which he used pencil to make. They are amazing and will evoke emotions, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment