Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Misfits by James Howe


When I first started reading this book, I thought to myself, "how could I possibly get away with incorporating this book into my classroom?" After all, some of the language, content and characters are controversial and the last thing I want to do is upset parents and the principal. As I continued reading, however, I began to realize why a book like this is important to be used in the classroom and what I could do and say to support my decision for choosing it. The bottom line is that the content, language and characters are realistic. Why would we try and hide students from something that they are going to face when they enter junior high? Don't we want to present children with books they can identify with?


All of us have been called names in school, witnessed others being called names, or were guilty of calling people names. What do most of us do when we are called a name? Probably roll our eyes and move on. If you do decide to tell someone about it, then you are a baby and tattle-tale. Skeezy, Bobby, Joe and Addie, who have labeled themselves "the misfits," are sick of being called loser, geek, fairy, beanpole, fatso, and know-it-all to name a few, and decide to take a stand. They come up with the motto, "sticks and stones may break our bones, but names will break our spirit," and decide to form the No-Name Party. Regardless of them winning the student council election or not, their effort was admirable and they really did make a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment