Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Year of Impossible Goodbyes by Sook Nyul Choi


This book is from the complete opposite perspective as So Far From the Bamboo Grove. Sook Nyul Choi writes about her experience as a Korean child during WWII and the mistreatment her and her family experience from the Japanese military occupying Korea. I have to admit that this book was hard to get into after reading So Far From the Bamboo Grove. I kept waiting for something extreme to happen and felt that the beginning dragged on and on. I found myself feeling bad at times because of the way my heart was so touched by Yoko's story and not Sookan's. It was terrible! On the other hand, I realized that this was most likely a natural effect of reading the 2 books back to back and probably something my future students will experience when faced with the same situation. This will hopefully lead to great discussions in the classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment