Monday, May 11, 2009

Controversial?


The book, "Happy To Be Nappy" by ( insert) is one that I think children would embrace, whether they are White, Black Asian etc. Because "nappy" is a term that has been used derogatorily over the years, I can see why people might view the title of this book as controversial. However, there is really nothing controversial about the book. The message is that we should embrace what god gave us and come to accept our natural beauty. I can remember admiring my older sister's long, beautiful chocolate brown hair when I was younger. It was always so silky and straight. Mine tended to be frizzy and all over the place. Once I reached junior high, I began sitting in my bathroom for hours with a curling iron trying to straighten my hair. Unfortunately, this was my only option since flat irons were non-existent at that time (or too expensive for me to know that they existed). Thank goodness for the day I decided that my curly hair was beautiful! It saved me so much time. This is such a common battle that young girl's go through. For this reason, a book like "Happy To Be Nappy" would be a great read for young children!

No comments:

Post a Comment