Monday, May 11, 2009

Tony's Bread by Tomie dePaola


Although this book is known to be a classic, I had never read it before. In fact, I didn't even know it existed until I was searching for books to include in my text set. Being almost full blooded Italian, it is not surprising that I fell in love with this book. An Italian Folktale about the creation of panettone?! How could I not love it! Every aspect of the book was pleasing, starting with dePaola's "Note About The Story." He included some history about the Italian bread "panettone" and gave a brief intro of the story. What I enjoyed most about the book was his incorporation of Italian vocabulary and the humorous gossiping "zie" (aunties). His skillful illustrations depicting the Piazza del Duomo in Milan enhanced my intense desire to take a trip to Italy!

No comments:

Post a Comment